на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
на Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
Эадор.Сотворение - Eador.The Genesis на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
на Главную Форума - back to Forum Index
Автор / Сообщение

Playing Wizards with Good aligment

Surgeon

Дозорный

Свитков: 36
С нами с: 30.12.2015
СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 4:49     Заголовок сообщения: Playing Wizards with Good aligment

First of all - hello everybody! I tried handling the Russian part of the forum, but despite similarities with my native language and some amateur learning on my part, I still have a bit to learn before I can fully handle so apologies to everyone for taking the easier way and just going to the international subforum.

I've spent hours playing this mod. It's literally one of the best modifications / games I've ever seen and I've seen through pretty much most TBS games.

Having said that, I am still "relatively" new to this universe and have been so far sticking largely by playing the Scout as my first Hero. I've had tryouts with others and they mostly ended in failure; the only difference being literally my last playthrough in a swampy (and gem-rich) area in which I basically steamrolled the entire map with little to no difficulty, going full-blown Necromancer. But that goes fully in character, if you want to play the bad dude. I've noticed that the mages seem to be to a small extent biased towards the Evil side - is this intentional? If I exclude the Chaos and Necromancy spells entirely, that means that he can neither raise dead nor summon demons (can non-demonic forces even be summoned at all? Summoning seems in Eador to be exclusively from the Gates of Hell). If I play a good wizard, I should eliminate those spells from his spellbook and just not take up the two skills at all, as well as not choose the necromancy path but rather some of the other three.

I realize this is something a ton of people might've already discussed over so I apologize in advance, but for good wizards - what should be the playing strategy? I've read somewhere about powerful battlemages, but that only seems to be the case for a late-game character. Are good wizards, mostly, just supporting champions?

P. S. One pretty strange thing I've noticed about Eador is how the Undead are treated differently in this game. Normally, the undead have a lot of units and are able to mass up on them, being quite easy to raise whole hoards, but in most cases rather weak. I didn't try out the necromancer path ever due to this conception; that I'd basically have to spend an immense ton of crystals for spells during combat and continuously raising my troops. Thought this seems to be to an extent true, it's nowhere near what I expected and the undead seem to be among the most powerful units in the game (at least so far; or they can match up to even trolls). This is probably due to hero skills that buff them up, but is totally in contrast to the general (mis?)conception, due to which I in general seldom played the undead. Am very much expecting to play a demonic summoner character, although the options so far seem to be limited in that direction (or at least in the earlier part of the game it seems too difficult), especially if we consider the Demons are actually trying to...destroy Eador? If I understand the storyline so far, going direct Unscrupulous Evil Necromantic is perfectly legitimate, even offering options of forming up alliances with others, but Chaos just seems to be The Enemy, an Archnemesis with no regard to your Karma. I wish playing a Chaotic character was more akin to the Sorcerer King and the Tyrant Sovereign, i.e. being incredibly powerful but ultimately a terrible choice (reminiscent of the Sorcerer-King's Doomsday Track and the Tyrant's powers growing stronger as the end grows near along with the main Antagonist), leading to a closer end of the world as well as uniting all the Masters (both Good and Evil) against the one who chose that path. I still have yet to play a great part of the game so maybe there's even a way to join in with the Devil and destroy the world, joining him in Hell..?
Посмотреть профиль Отправить личное сообщение
   Kettarienne

* Бессмертный *
New Horizons Team

Свитков: 1500
С нами с: 09.10.2012
СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 6:27     Заголовок сообщения:

Magic in Eador is indeed karma-negative at large. There are a few exceptions, like the exorcism spell, but most spells do decrease karma, and spellcasting units generally have lower karma score.
Summoning is not limited to demons, there are several summoning spells for beasts of nature, but they are quite rare as of now (though there are plans to improve that).
Mage and commander heroes are generally considered to be the late-game powerhouses, so they have somwhat weaker earlygame. There are exceptions though, like the one you mentioned: going necromancer as the first hero in swamps is entirely viable. But, generally you want to start with a scout or a warrior, especially as the new player.
As for the ruler of chaos, there are several possible endings to the game, but the thing with chaos in Eador is that there is nothing to rule over. It's just that: chaos, entropy. Nothing resides there, really. Even demons are born and dwell in the nether regions of the Eador, on the border with the chaos proper. That doesn't stop several astral masters to be chaotic-aligned. You can even help them, and even unwillingly, it's just that there is no real reason to. Pure mundicide.

Дозорный

СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 11:43     Заголовок сообщения:

Kettarienne писал(а):
Magic in Eador is indeed karma-negative at large. There are a few exceptions, like the exorcism spell, but most spells do decrease karma, and spellcasting units generally have lower karma score.
Summoning is not limited to demons, there are several summoning spells for beasts of nature, but they are quite rare as of now (though there are plans to improve that).
Mage and commander heroes are generally considered to be the late-game powerhouses, so they have somwhat weaker earlygame. There are exceptions though, like the one you mentioned: going necromancer as the first hero in swamps is entirely viable. But, generally you want to start with a scout or a warrior, especially as the new player.
As for the ruler of chaos, there are several possible endings to the game, but the thing with chaos in Eador is that there is nothing to rule over. It's just that: chaos, entropy. Nothing resides there, really. Even demons are born and dwell in the nether regions of the Eador, on the border with the chaos proper. That doesn't stop several astral masters to be chaotic-aligned. You can even help them, and even unwillingly, it's just that there is no real reason to. Pure mundicide.

IS there no reason? What if I am roleplaying a self-destructive character that hates the world and does nothing but precisely that?

P. S. Ever since the latest New Horizons update, the game went fullscreen from windowed for me. How to change it back? Also, the mouse roller no longer seems to work when trying to skim the information in windows of units (did work before).
   bavarian kid

ς Друид ς
Ветеран

Свитков: 206
С нами с: 13.09.2013
СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 12:23     Заголовок сообщения:

Surgeon писал(а):
Ever since the latest New Horizons update, the game went fullscreen from windowed for me. How to change it back?

Open Eador.cfg

***MAIN SETTINGS***
Windowed (0 - off/1 - on): 1

Surgeon писал(а):
Also, the mouse roller no longer seems to work when trying to skim the information in windows of units (did work before).

Feature had been introduced in the most recent Russian release. It is not (yet) available in English version 2.50d. Will premier in 2.60a Smile .
   Surgeon

Дозорный

СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 16:57     Заголовок сообщения:

bavarian kid писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):
Ever since the latest New Horizons update, the game went fullscreen from windowed for me. How to change it back?

Open Eador.cfg

***MAIN SETTINGS***

Surgeon писал(а):
Also, the mouse roller no longer seems to work when trying to skim the information in windows of units (did work before).

Feature had been introduced in the most recent Russian release. It is not (yet) available in English version 2.50d. Will premier in 2.60a Smile .

Thanks. Is it possible / are there any plans to add into the Options menu directly?

What? But...I could've sworn I had it back in 2.48...
   bavarian kid

ς Друид ς
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 17:29     Заголовок сообщения:

Surgeon писал(а):
Also, the mouse roller no longer seems to work when trying to skim the information in windows of units (did work before) ...
What? But...I could've sworn I had it back in 2.48.. .

Ah, you are talking about navigating the unit description text with the mouse wheel. If you switch to windowed mode, mouse wheel navigation should also work Wink
   Surgeon

Дозорный

СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 17:45     Заголовок сообщения:

bavarian kid писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):
Also, the mouse roller no longer seems to work when trying to skim the information in windows of units (did work before) ...

Ah, you are talking about navigating the unit description text with the mouse wheel. If you switch to windowed mode, mouse wheel navigation should also work Wink

What feature are you talking about then?
   bavarian kid

ς Друид ς
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Ср Dec 30, 2015 17:51     Заголовок сообщения:

Surgeon писал(а):
bavarian kid писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):

What feature are you talking about then?

Mousing over unit displays type & class info in NH 15.1231, e.g.

Boon947

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

Свитков: 667
С нами с: 24.09.2014
СообщениеДобавлено: Чт Dec 31, 2015 14:26     Заголовок сообщения:

Kettarienne писал(а):
Magic in Eador is indeed karma-negative at large.

Surgeon,

If you're not concerned with spoiling the surprise of discovering new spells, you can check the karma of every spell here:
http://eador.online.fr/en/spell.var.html

You can even filter the list. For example, to show only non-negative karma spells, just type >=0 in the "Karma" column.

Regards.
   Surgeon

Дозорный

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Янв 01, 2016 4:38     Заголовок сообщения:

bavarian kid писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):

Open Eador.cfg

***MAIN SETTINGS***

Surgeon писал(а):

It's already set to 1Windowed. And it's still fullscreen.
   bavarian kid

ς Друид ς
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Янв 01, 2016 7:21     Заголовок сообщения:

Surgeon писал(а):
bavarian kid писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):

Open Eador.cfg

***MAIN SETTINGS***

Surgeon писал(а):

Do you - by any chance - use the gog version and start the game by the "Launch Eador - Genesis" link created by the installer?
If yes, try the following solution to your problem: start the game using eador.exe instead Wink
   Surgeon

Дозорный

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Янв 01, 2016 17:05     Заголовок сообщения:

bavarian kid писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):
bavarian kid писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):

Open Eador.cfg

***MAIN SETTINGS***

Surgeon писал(а):

Do you - by any chance - use the gog version and start the game by the "Launch Eador - Genesis" link created by the installer?
If yes, try the following solution to your problem: start the game using eador.exe instead Wink

Sorry; I'm an idiot. The structure of the .cfg file gets broken with the New Horizons mod so it's not easy to follow all the numbers.

On the another note, and this is probably a bug that should be reported, the text on the main screen reverts the version of Eador back to 1.05.1...this is probably an oversight that has been present ever since the latest patch?
   Boon947

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Янв 01, 2016 17:28     Заголовок сообщения:

Surgeon писал(а):
The structure of the .cfg file gets broken with the New Horizons mod so it's not easy to follow all the numbers.

I bet you're trying to edit the file with Notepad. Try Wordpad instead (or any decent text editor).
I changed DOS line endings (CRLF) to UNIX line endings (LF).

Surgeon писал(а):
The text on the main screen reverts the version of Eador back to 1.05.1... this is probably an oversight that has been present ever since the latest patch?

The important line is the one above.
It should say New Horizons 15.0427.f03 - English translation v2.50d
(The 1.05.1 string is hard-coded into the binary, and it's always been like that.)

Regards.
   Surgeon

Дозорный

СообщениеДобавлено: Пт Янв 01, 2016 18:48     Заголовок сообщения:

Boon947 писал(а):
Surgeon писал(а):
The structure of the .cfg file gets broken with the New Horizons mod so it's not easy to follow all the numbers.

I bet you're trying to edit the file with Notepad. Try Wordpad instead (or any decent text editor).
I changed DOS line endings (CRLF) to UNIX line endings (LF).

Surgeon писал(а):
The text on the main screen reverts the version of Eador back to 1.05.1... this is probably an oversight that has been present ever since the latest patch?

The important line is the one above.
It should say New Horizons 15.0427.f03 - English translation v2.50d
(The 1.05.1 string is hard-coded into the binary, and it's always been like that.)

Regards.

Yes, you are correct.

What precisely do you mean hard-coded into the binary...I thought it was 1.05.2 before installing the mod?
   Boon947

}↑↑ Великий Лучник
Ветеран

СообщениеДобавлено: Сб Янв 02, 2016 1:38     Заголовок сообщения:

Surgeon писал(а):
What precisely do you mean hard-coded into the binary... I thought it was 1.05.2 before installing the mod?

Don't worry about it, that specific version string has lost meaning in New Horizons.
Часовой пояс: GMT +3:00

Ты не можешь начинать темы
Ты не можешь отвечать на сообщения
Ты не можешь редактировать свои сообщения
Ты не можешь удалять свои сообщения
Ты не можешь голосовать в опросах
на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index Eador. The Genesis. Encyclopedia на Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Indexна Главную Форума - back to Forum Index